For specialty retailers using the Tecnica Outdoor C.A.S. Thermoform Machine in store, a fully customizable, precise anatomical trekking boot can be achieved in only 20 minutes, a first for the category.
Writer: Thomas J. Ryan
After exiting the category in the U.S. six years ago, Tecnica will introduce a new collection of hiking boots with a high-tech and highly-personalized story. Set to launch February 2018, the Forge collection is being described as the first heat-moldable hiker.
The Forge borrows from Tecnica’s Custom Adaptive Shape (C.A.S.) system, which for years has been creating heat-moldable shells and liners to ski boots for the best fit possible out of the box. For select specialty retailers using the Tecnica Outdoor C.A.S. Thermoform Machine in-store, a fully customizable, precise anatomical trekking boot can be achieved in only 20 minutes, a first for the hiker category.
Using an innovative 360° fit concept, Forge is fully pre-shaped around Tecnica’s proprietary anatomical last developed from over 55 years of experience in crafting Italian outdoor and work shoes.
C.A.S. features a thermo-formable material in the key comfort and foot-hold areas: the heel, the arch and the ankles as well as a fully thermo-formable footbed for custom instep and arch support. The process uses a patent-pending, custom designed system that heats and compresses the boots to form to each foot.
“For decades we have all dreamed about owning unique, personalized shoes, formed around our own feet,” stated Federico Sbrissa, line manager of Tecnica Outdoor. “We are all tired of wearing boots that don’t fit or require long break-in times before becoming comfortable. We know that millions of outdoor enthusiasts dream the same, and we wanted to offer them a fast, efficient and affordable solution to own a unique, personalized pair of shoes.”
Other features of the Forge collection include:
- Overlap Cuff Design that reduces pressure points on the medial malleolar pad for better customization.
- Self-Locking Lace Design that uses high-tenacity Kevlar loops instead of the classic metal hooks, which, in combination with a rugged lace surface, self-locks and allows micro-adjustability that won’t release while walking.
- Gore-Tex Liners supporting a high level of waterproofness and breathability. An elastic insert on the instep matches with the Forge Overlap Cuff Design for step-in ease and comfort.
- Adaptive Sole System featuring a bottom unit where the oversized lugs are reversed to increase the contact of the rubber with the surface. In combination with a triple density midsole, the lugs move and conform to the variations found in outdoor terrain.
- Vibram Megagrip Compound for a strong grip and durability in all terrain.
- Women’s Specific Lasts featuring reduced volume in the heel and forefoot offering a strong heel hold and a women’s specific overall fit.
The collection will initially introduce two versions. The Forge GTX upper features an elastic fabric on the collar and instep combined with a Nubuk leather upper layer, which naturally conforms to the thermo-formable inserts during the customization process. The Forge will be available in four colors for men and three for women.
Forge S GTX, is a synthetic version of the Forge GTX built with an innovative fabric developed by Tecnica that is durable and offers the elasticity to conform to the anatomy of the foot when thermo-formed. A heat-lamination of TPU film adds protection and durability. The Forge S will be offered in three colors for men and women.
Photos courtesy Technica