Nike and the NBA are fundamentally changing fan apparel with the first NBA connected jersey, which launches September 29. Here’s how to use the jersey’s NikeConnect technology to gain access on your smartphone to athlete info, exclusive offers and more.
This combination of apparel and digital technology gives NikePlus members and NBA fans access to product, customized content and exclusive experiences through the NikeConnect logo on their jersey’s jock tag.
Step-By-Step Guide To Using The Nike NBA Jersey With NikeConnect
- Snag a jersey at nike.com/nba, nbastore.com, a Nike store or team retailer.
- Download the NikeConnect App, available for iOS 11 and Android (iPhone 7 or newer; Android devices with NFC capability) globally.
- Tap your smartphone on the tag at the bottom of your Nike NBA Jersey, where a special NFC chip is located under the NikeConnect logo. The experience will launch automatically.
- Sign in with your NikePlus Account. A celebration page appears with your athlete jersey. Tap in any time to unlock team and player content such as pre-game arrival footage and highlight packages.
- Tap in on game day to get additional access to exclusive offers.The central “Team” tab of the app has a status bar with either a pre-game countdown to tip-off, an in-game score or a post-game final score. Other information provided includes where and when your team is playing next, plus stats about your player.
- Beneath that bar is the “Team” feed, which is a combination of performance and off-court highlights, including recap videos and GIFs related to your jersey’s player and team. Fans can access this content for greater detail or tap and hold to share externally with friends online.
- The left side of the experience has an “Offers” tab. Clicking on this tab reveals game day offers at the top of the screen that are available immediately. Beneath that, you’ll see “Upcoming Rewards” for future game days. Offers include exclusive licensed product, NBA 2K18 boosts, tickets to games, Spotify playlists from athletes and other to-be-announced experiences. Note: In China, NBA 2K18 and Spotify are replaced by 2K Online and QQ Music, respectively.
- The right side of the app has a “Jersey” tab, which shows your history of tap-ins and rewards with that particular Nike NBA Connected jersey.
Photos and video courtesy Nike