“Perhaps more than any other season, parents are looking to engage and entertain their children during the summer while they’re out of school,” said Eva Lorenz, category leader of toys and games for Amazon.com.
Writer: Carly Terwilliger
Amazon.com revealed its 2017 Summer Toy List, a curated list of more than 400 of its most popular toys.
In the Active Play category, scooters and kids’ sports toys topped the list. The Janod Mint Scooter, a retro wooden balance bike, scored a high ranking, while the innovative Power Wheels Wild Thing was also featured.
The Wild Thing, manufactured by Fisher-Price, is a battery-powered ride-on that uses dual joysticks to produce 360-degree spins. The toy is being marketed as an “off-road” option that can achieve forward speeds of up to 5 mph on pavement and grass. Space Scooter’s Junior Ride On also offers an active experience, as it is “propelled forward by pushing the board with both feet in an active teeter-totter motion,” according to its product description.
In general, scooters, tricycles and balance bikes all figured heavily into the online retailer’s list.
Pint-sized versions of sports equipment also did well on Amazon’s summer rundown, especially the Fisher-Price Grow-To-Pro line – the Triple Hit Baseball as well as the Basketball Hoop were both highlighted. For kids who have an even longer time before they “grow to pro,” Amazon pointed to the Little Tikes Easy Score Basketball Set as a popular option.
The Backyard Play category saw plenty of Nerf, a perennial summer fun favorite, as well as the usual imaginative Melissa & Doug offerings. Perhaps the biggest surprise in this category is a drone – the Force1 UDI U818A Wifi FPV Drone with HD Camera, Remote Control, VR Headset and Power Bank. Priced at $139 and billed as “the perfect drone for beginners,” the Wi-Fi camera drone is recommended for ages 14 and up.
“Our team of toy experts are excited about all the new, top-selling and highly-rated toys for this summer season,” said Eva Lorenz, category leader of toys and games for Amazon.com. “Perhaps more than any other season, parents are looking to engage and entertain their children during the summer while they’re out of school. Our goal is to make finding that perfect toy as easy and convenient as possible for customers, whether they’re looking for a STEM toy that keeps them learning or a water toy for those extra hot days.”
Top picks for each of the 2017 Summer Toy List categories are as follows:
- Backyard Play: Gazillion Incredibubble Wand, Nerf Lazer Tag, and Melissa & Doug Sunny Patch Verdie Chameleon Beanbag Toss.
- Active Play: Power Wheels Wild Thing 2, Schwinn Roadster 12-Inch Trike, Space Scooter Ride On, Franklin Sports Go Pro Youth Football Goal Post Set and Fisher-Price Grow-to-Pro Basketball.
- STEM in the summer: Osmo Coding, 4M Water Rocket Kit and National Geographic Break Open 10 Geodes and Explore Crystals Science Kit.
- Outfit Your Backyard: Swing-n-Slide Orbiter, Little Tikes Jump ‘n Slide Bouncer, Little Tikes Fountain Factory Water Table, and Swing-N-Slide Monster Web Swing.
- Rainy Day Fun: Roller Coaster Set, Easy Playhouse Castle, and Wildkin Canvas Teepee Playhouse and HedBanz Game and Children’s Globe 3D Puzzle.
- Water Everything: CoolerZ X3 Inflatable Island 3-Person, Kelsyus Floating Hammock and Bunch O Balloons – Instant Water Balloons.
- Imagination Station: Melissa & Doug Wooden Snacks and Sweets Food Cart, Melissa & Doug Scoop and Stack Ice Cream Cone Magnetic Pretend Play Set, Lego Star Wars Y-Wing Starfighter 75172 Building Kit and Disney Mickey Mouse Activity Mats.
Photos courtesy Space Scooter, Fisher-Price and Force1