The majority of retailers who responded to a survey of 150 bike dealers by Bikes Belong said their sales of transportation-related bicycles, accessories, and service have increased in 2008 compared to 2007.
Of the respondents:
- 73% said they are selling more bikes.
- 84% said they are selling more accessories.
- 88% said they are selling more service.
- 95% of shops said customers cited high gas prices as a reason for their transportation-related purchases.
- 80% of retailers said gas prices were helping them sell more bikes for transportation.
- 86% thought accessory sales were getting a boost.
- 89% said they were selling more service because of high gas prices.
Many new customers are dusting off old bikes and bringing them in for repair. There appears to be a surge of interest in riding bicycles for short trips, errands, and commuting.