Spanx, LLC. announced that Kim Jones had been promoted to CEO effective immediately. Jones takes over the top executive position from Spanx founder Sara Blakely, who remains executive chairwoman.
A company veteran, Jones was, most recently, president and CFO. As CEO, Jones will oversee the company’s corporate strategy and global operations.
Jones, a 15-year veteran working with the Atlanta-based shapewear brand, was president in 2018. Before Spanx, she was the CEO at Sweetwater Brewing Company and, earlier in her career, held finance positions at Ernst & Young, The Coca-Cola Company and EarthLink.
“I’m thrilled to announce Kim as CEO of Spanx,” said Blakely. “Kim has worked for Spanx for 15 years and, in addition to serving as CFO and President, she has been instrumental in the company’s growth from startup to the category-defining, digital-first apparel brand it is today. Her love and deep understanding for the brand and the customer make her the perfect fit (no pun intended) for the job.”
Jones worked with Blakely to secure Spanx’s first outside investment in 2021 when it was acquired by funds managed by Blackstone to accelerate growth and product innovation. Additional investors included Oprah Winfrey, Reese Witherspoon, Whitney Wolfe Herd, and investment funds G9 Ventures and Able Partners.
Additional senior leadership appointments include:
- Caroline (Cricket) Whitton was promoted to president and will continue in her role as chief growth officer. She has 15 years of experience driving digital growth for retailers, including Wayfair and Design Within Reach. As president, she will oversee global revenue and growth, including e-commerce, wholesale, growth marketing, international, digital product innovation, and customer experience.
- Misha Nonoo was hired as chief brand officer. She joins Spanx as CEO and creative director for her women’s ready-to-wear line since its founding in 2011. Her business continues to run under separate management. Nonoo is responsible for the creative vision and strategy of the company’s global brand growth.
- Martin Elliott was named CFO, overseeing financial functions. He joined Spanx from MGA Entertainment, responsible for growth and corporate development initiatives and guiding business strategy. He brings over 25 years of experience in financial planning and analysis, M&A and operational control and reporting, including as a strategic and business planning executive at Mattel, Inc. and The Walt Disney Company.
- Coco Lu was hired as chief people officer overseeing all HR functions. She began her career at Philips Electronics and Unilever and joined Spanx after 15 years working at The Coca-Cola Company as, most recently, global human resources director for its technical, innovation and supply chain function.
Nonoo, Elliott and Lu join Chief Information Officer, Keith Miller; Chief Creative Officer, Lisa Kulson; Chief Merchandising Officer, Kiana Miree; and President, Cricket Whitton, on the executive team reporting to Jones. The hires build on the additions of Miree and Kulson to the senior leadership team within the last year.
- Miree joined Spanx in 2016 and has led the company’s category expansion into apparel and activewear, including denim and its Perfect Collection.
- Kulson joined the company in 2021 with over two decades of design experience, bringing an “elevated, sensible perspective” to the brand’s ready-to-wear category.
This month, Spanx debuted dresses as part of its collection, including the Perfect Sheath Dress, Perfect A-Line 3/4 Sleeve Dress and Perfect Fit & Flare Dress.
Photo courtesy Spanx/Kim Jones