SGB Media posted another strong month in February 2023, with total page views rising 15 percent to over 164,000. SGBonline.com generated over 1.7 million page views for the trailing 12-month period ended February 28.
SGB Media delivered nearly 500,000 SGB Update email newsletters for the month and the open numbers were up 8.8 percent compared to the year-ago comparable period. The Total Open Rate was 75 percent in February 2023 compared to 64 percent in February 2022, with a Unique Open Rate of 50 percent in 2023, compared to 44.3 percent for the year-ago period.
The storylines for the month were not as cheerful as the previous two years as retailers and vendors reported inventory overhangs, de-stocking and margin issues caused, in part, by snarled supply chains in prior years. The issue created over-inventoried positions for retailers who over-bought last year only to pare open-to-buy plans this year when more goods arrived than anticipated while the consumer, in many cases, did not. The industry also lost two leaders in the fitness and wellness space. Both are gone far too young.
March will reveal more details about the state of the active lifestyle retail environment as Dick’s SG, Hibbett, Academy, and others report fiscal Q4 results. But for now, select the headline for a story you may have missed and get caught up on the business.
The Top 28 stories reported by SGB Media for February 2023 include:
- Yeti Posts Fourth-Quarter Loss On Massive Recall Charges
- EXEC: Yeti Issues Stop Sale On Three Products Due To Safety Concerns
- Authentic Brands Closes In On Acquisition Of Quiksilver, Billabong Parent
- Vista Outdoor Board Pushes CEO Metz To Resign
- EXEC: Shimano Forecasts Sharp Drop In 2023 Sales; Pursues A New Culture
- Belk’s Debt Ratings Downgraded On Weak Results
- Dick’s SG To Acquire Moosejaw From Walmart
- EXEC: Vans Brand To See Major Focus And Investment From Parent VF Corp.
- EXEC: What’s Next For Vista Outdoor Following Board Coup And CEO Exit?
- Wahoo Fitness’ Debt Ratings Lowered On Potential Default
- Bass Pro Ramps Up Expansion With Plans For Three Openings
- Black Diamond Equipment Appoints New Brand President
- Adidas Says Yeezy Fallout Could Result In Billion Euro Loss
- EXEC Q&A: Karl Salz, President, Sun & Ski Sports
- EXEC: Wall Street Concerned About Vista’s Weakening Organic Trends
- EXEC: Generation Alpha Emerges As Disruptors At Retail
- Report: U.S. Retail Sales Up 8.8 Percent In January
- Laurie McCartney, President, NASM And AFAA, Dies Unexpectedly
- Fox Factory Acquires Custom Wheel House
- EXEC: Jansport Divesture Plan Confirmed By VF Corp. Management
- SGB Question: Is The Supply Chain Crisis Over?
- Dick’s House Of Sport To Open In Scranton
- F45 Training Secures New Financing, Revises Board Structure
- Brooks Gets Fourth Quarter Lift And DTC Help To Post 2022 Growth
- Janji And Oiselle Brands To Merge
- Nike’s Chief Digital Information Officer Departs
- Berkshire Hathaway’s Apparel And Footwear Sales Slide 4.5 Percent In 2022
- Fitness Industry Hall of Famer Augie Nieto Passes Away