W. L. Gore & Associates (Gore) announced that the consumer business of its fabrics division will introduce expanded Polyethylene (ePE) as a complementary material platform as the basis for its membrane technologies.
Gore’s ePE Membrane will appear in Gore-Tex brand consumer products beginning FW22 in the following categories—general outdoor and lifestyle garments, lifestyle footwear and snow sports gloves—from, but not limited to, Adidas, Arc’teryx, Dakine, Patagonia, Reusch, Salomon, and Ziener, said W.L. Gore.
Key characteristics of ePE Membrane include:
- High strength-to-weight ratio for a lightweight and thin composite that remains “mechanically robust”;
- Durable performance with low environmental footprint;
- When combined with Polyurethane (PU), the result creates a waterproof, windproof and breathable membrane;
- A combination of the ePE material and low membrane mass results in a lower carbon footprint, as measured by Higg MSI; and
- Advances Gore’s fabric division’s goal for being free of PFCs of Environmental Concern (PFCEC) over the lifecycle of its consumer products.
Gore-Tex brand consumer products that feature its ePE Membrane will carry the Gore-Tex brand’s “guaranteed to keep them dry” label. Products for additional consumer end-uses and from other manufacturers will be released in upcoming seasons.
Photo courtesy W. L. Gore