Outdoor Retailer has announced the judges for the ninth annual Outdoor Retailer Inspiration Awards presented by Adidas Outdoor.
A panel of 13 judges, including past recipients of the award, will determine this year’s finalists and winners across all categories. Winners will be revealed in a live ceremony on June 18 during Outdoor Retailer Summer Market in Denver, and the night will be co-hosted by Alex Boylan, co-founder and acting partner of DreamJobbing.com, and Christian Murphy, Head of Enthusiast Brands at A+E Networks.
“We are thrilled with this amazing panel of judges who share a passion for the outdoors and embody the spirt of the Inspiration Awards,” said Marisa Nicholson, Outdoor Retailer vice president and show director. “With Alex and Christian both back as hosts, this will be a night to remember as we come together to celebrate the remarkable efforts by those influencing and inspiring others to participate in outdoor recreation.”
The 13 judges are active leaders in the outdoor community with experience focusing on participation, conservation, diversity, retail and brand development. Collectively, they will consider nominees based on impact, creativity, philanthropy, sustainability, engagement, longevity and other factors as presented with the nominations.
The judging panel:
- Steve Barker, co-founder of Eagle Creek, current head of Wild Places consulting and board member with outdoor industry nonprofit organizations
- Kareemah Batts, cancer survivor, founder of Adaptive Climbing Group and the first female paraclimber in a USA Climbing competition
- Rachel Davidson, Outdoor Research Copywriter and current participant in the Outdoor Industry Association’s Future Leadership Academy
- Kenji Haroutunian, independent consultant and board member with outdoor industry nonprofit organizations
- Lisa Hennessy, Emmy nominated TV Producer, executive producer of the “Eco-Challenge” and co-founder of DreamJobbing.com
- Diane Kay, marketing manager for adidas Outdoor
- Terry Lee, founder of Gear Coop, which won the 2018 Inspiration Award in the retailer category
- Kai Lightner, professional rock climber, winner of 12 National Championships and the 2014 Youth World Championship, and student at Babson College
- Jamie Logan, climbing pioneer and architect
- Rue Mapp, founder and CEO of Outdoor Afro, a nonprofit recipient of the Inspiration Award, member of Outdoor Industry Association board and the California State Parks Commission
- Peter Metcalf, founder and former longtime CEO of Black Diamond Equipment and board member with outdoor industry nonprofit organizations
- Elyse Rylander, founder of OUT There Adventures and co-organizer of the LGBTQ Outdoor Summit
- Dieter Tremp, U.S. spokesperson and market contact for all ISPO tradeshows and projects
The Outdoor Retailer Inspiration Awards presented by Adidas Outdoor celebrate champions of the outdoor community who inspire and encourage others to enjoy, participate in and support outdoor recreation. Awards will be presented to individuals, brands, nonprofit organizations and retailers, as well as in the youth category. The nomination period is open now and runs through Friday, May 3, 2019. Rules and the nomination form can be found online at outdoorretailer.com/inspirationawards.
Winners will be announced live during the awards ceremony held at the Hyatt Regency Denver at Colorado Convention Center following Day 1 of Summer Market. Doors open at 6 p.m. with the show beginning at 6:30 p.m. The event is open to registered attendees and media, and Outdoor Retailer’s opening night Industry Party immediately follows the ceremony.