Shimano announced the passing of chairman emeritus and former chairman Yoshizo Shimano. Yoshizo died of chronic heart failure at the age of 85 on July 3, 2020.
Shimano wrote, “The contributions he made to Shimano’s business cannot be measured and his impact will be felt forever. On behalf of our management team and employees, we extend our deepest condolences to his family.”
- 1934 – Born as the third son of the founder Shozaburo Shimano.
- 1965 – Assumed the position of president of Shimano American, the sales subsidiary in the United States.
- Through his twenty-seven year residence there, Yoshizo Shimano contributed greatly in developing the overseas market.
- 1995 – Assumed the position of President of Shimano Inc.
- 2001 – Assumed the position of Chairman of Shimano Inc.
- He served as president of the Bicycle Association of Japan (now the General Bicycle Association) from 2001 to 2011 and has since served as its honorary chairman.
- 2012 – Assumed the position of Chairman Emeritus of Shimano Inc.
The funeral has been held by close relatives with his surviving wife, Ikuko Shimano, representing the family. His family would like to respectfully decline condolence visits, telegraphs or funeral offerings at this time.