Cabela’s said it has initiated a process of discontinuing sales of bump stocks following the Las Vegas mass shooting.
Police found at least a dozen rifles equipped with bump-fire stocks in the hotel room from which a gunman killed 59 people in Las Vegas on Sunday night. The devices allow semi-automatic guns to mimic fully automatic weapons.
Cabela’s had reportedly stopped selling the devices online soon after the tragedy.
“On Tuesday, October 3, Cabela’s initiated the process of discontinuing the sale of these devices at all retail locations and online,” Cabela’s said in a statement provided to the Washington Examiner. “We agree with the National Rifle Association and others that the sale of such devices should be subject to additional regulation.”
“Like all Americans, we are shocked and deeply saddened by the horrific tragedy in Las Vegas,” the statement reads. “Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims, their families and loved ones. We also pay tribute to the first responders and other heroes who provided care and support during the assault.”
The statement concluded, “Bass Pro Shops and Cabela’s, along with all responsible sportsmen and women understand that the right to bear arms comes with profound responsibilities, including the safe handling, secure storage and lawful use of firearms at all times.”
According to the Washington Examiner, the bump stocks are no longer available on the company’s website as of Wednesday. Six different store clerks in six different states told the Washington Examiner that the device had been strongly selling after the shooting but leftover stocks were being shipped back to the manufacturer.
Photo courtesy Cabela’s