Ugg launched a global marketing campaign rooted in its heritage. Aptly titled “Real,” the new campaign features a collective of authentic Californians who live lives that express the diversity, spirit and core values of the brand. Like Ugg, these artists, musicians, surfers, creatives and eccentrics are provocative, progressive, free spirited, sensual, optimistic and warm.
The UGG Collective
Inspired by the beaches, mountains and iconic architecture of California, the campaign tells the story of 11 unique individuals that personally and collectively represent the spirit of the Ugg brand. The cast includes:
- Tasya van Ree: An American artist and photographer, Tasya cites Sally Mann and Francesca Woodman as inspiration. Her work explores the relation between fashion and identity through a romantic and intimate lens.
- Warm Brew: Ray Wright, Manu Li and Serk Spliff form the LA-based rap group, Warm Brew. The group uses rap to reflect their unique West Coast upbringing and to promote authenticity over façade.
- Hanalei Reponty: Born in French Polynesia, Hanalei learned how to swim before she could walk. Starting her career as a professional surfer, she now divides her time between surfing and running a successful surfwear line.
- Sakae Patrick: Sakae is a Swedish-Japanese surfer born in San Francisco and raised in Japan. Having spent years traveling the globe as a competitive surfer, he’s called Hawaii, Australia, Indonesia and California, where he currently resides, home.
- Aleali May: Blogger Aleali’s style is a cool mix of street grunge and the avant garde. A force of creative energy, she epitomizes the strong and independent West Coast urbanite.
- Colleen Heidemann: Colleen has spent her life traveling the world from Bangkok to New York to London to Paris. She now calls Southern California home and devotes her time toward combating the prejudices of ageism.
- Yasmina Jones: Singer-songwriter Yasmina splits her time between her self-made desert home in Joshua Tree and a vintage ‘70s fishing trawler in Venice Beach. She defies the status quo with her free-spirit lifestyle.
- Haden McKenna: Born and raised in Venice, Haden spends his time surfing and skating through LA. Effortlessly cool and laid back, he is a fixture at Venice Beach’s historic skate park.
- Daniel Hivner: Growing up in Long Beach, Daniel finds stability and peace through surfing, skateboarding, snowboarding and martial arts. Bold and adventurous, he thrives off the freedom and exhilaration of life.
Coming together under the creative direction of Jess Wells, the Ugg campaign was directed by Brazilian-born, California-based director and videographer Kauai Moliterno, photographed by Frederic Auerbach, styled by costume designer and stylist Kate Ruth with hair and make-up by Gio Campora. Set to launch in tandem with the spring/summer collection release beginning February 8th, the global campaign is primarily focused on digital channels but can also be seen in Ugg store and across selected out-of-home venues.
“The 2017 campaign celebrates the diversity and spirit of the California lifestyle,” says Andrea O’Donnell, Ugg brand president. “The Ugg collective is an eclectic group of people that represent our values and our heritage. In telling their stories, we tell ours.” Click here for additional information including product stills and a short movie supporting the Ugg SS17 campaign.
Image courtesy Ugg