The National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) revealed that the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) processed 687,788 background checks during the week leading up to and including Black Friday.
FBI’s NICS recorded 187,585 on Black Friday alone, ranking it among the Top 10 highest days for NICS checks and a 0.5 percent increase from Black Friday 2020 (186,645).
The NICS checks are unadjusted, representing raw data from the FBI and are inclusive of all background checks related to firearms.
NSSF said it has worked with firearm retailers to spread out special sales offers to customers throughout the week leading up to Black Friday so as not to overwhelm FBI NICS on Black Friday which could result in longer than normal wait times.
“This figure of over 687,000 background checks is truly remarkable,” said Joe Bartozzi, NSSF president and CEO. “This year has already been shaping up to be the second strongest year for firearm sales on record, second only to 2020’s record-breaking number of 21 million background checks for a firearm sale. We anticipate, based on annual data, that firearm sales will rise during the final month of the year coinciding with hunting season and holiday sales. This figure, though, underscores the appetite for lawful firearm ownership in America and the resilience of the firearm and ammunition industry to meet that demand.”
Below are the breakout tables for each day of unadjusted FBI NICS background checks and the Top 10 highest days of FBI background checks.
- Saturday, November 20, 2021—101,057 background checks
- Sunday, November 21, 2021—58,059 background checks
- Monday, November 22, 2021—96,696 background checks
- Tuesday, November 23, 2021—105,815 background checks
- Wednesday, November 24, 2021—112,484 background checks
- Thursday, November 25, 2021—26,092 background checks
- Friday, November 26, 2021—187,585 background checks
- Total background checks—687,788
Photo courtesy Getty