The North American Handmade Bicycle Show (NAHBS) reported a record number of exhibitors at the show’s recently held event in Sacramento, CA, and also announced the 2020 show location and dates.
The three-day event featured close to 210 exhibitors—from framebuilders to wheels to components and accessories. The event included a large contingent of international exhibitors hailing from Australia, Canada, England, Germany, Italy, Ireland, Japan, Russia and Taiwan, plus thousands of attendees.
NAHBS 2019 also attracted a strong contingent of retail buyers from with its new “early-access” program, which gave qualified buyers from bicycle retailers free admission to the show and access to the hall one hour prior to consumer show hours.
“This year’s show confirmed why Sacramento has always been one of our top venues. The hall was packed full of exhibitors, we drew an amazing crowd, and the weather couldn’t have been better,” said Don Walker, founder and president of NAHBS. “We had several groups ride from nearby cities like San Francisco and San Jose, school groups from nearby communities, and attendees from all over the world at this year’s show. The energy couldn’t have been more positive.”
The NAHBS Awards were also given out and below is a list of the award winners:
OVERALL DESIGN DIVISION
- Best in Show – No. 22 Bicycle Company
- Best New Builder – Porter Cycles
- President’s Choice – Hartley Cycles and Panasonic Cycle Technology
- People’s Choice – Mars Cycles
RIDING DISCIPLINE DIVISION
Fully complete bikes, paint and component choices will factor into the judging (aesthetic impact and correctness of the discipline).
- Best Artisan Bike – Black Sheep Bikes
- Best City/Utility Bike – Rex Cycles
- Best Cyclocross Bike – McGovern Cycles
- Best Experimental Bike – Black Sheep Bikes
- Best Gravel Bike – Seven Cycles
- Best Mountain Bike – Mosaic Cycles
- Best Road Bike – Seven Cycles
- Best Tandem Bike – Bingham Built
- Best Track Bike – T°RED Bikes
- Judges Discretionary Award – Mosaic Cycles
All bikes presented for the construction categories are presented as bare, non-painted frames to make for easier inspection.
- Best TIG Welded Frame- Bingham Built
- Best Layup- Pursuit Cycles
- Best Finish – Ioklin Frameworks
- Best Fillet – Black Cat Bicycle Designs
- Best Lugged Frame- DiNucci Cycles
Plans are already in the works for NAHBS 2020, which will be hosted in Dallas, TX, at the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center, March 20-22, 2020. The Dallas-Fort Worth metropolitan area has a population of 6.8 million, making it the 7th largest metro area in the United States. The Dallas-Fort Worth region also has two major airports, including one of the largest in the U.S., easily accessible for everyone including international exhibitors.
“There’s an ever growing cycling culture in Dallas and we’re extremely excited to bring the show back to Texas,” said Walker. “The city hosts some iconic cycling events and has a large variety of cycling clubs and groups. There are loads of hotels and lodging options close to the convention center, with very affordable rates. And like Sacramento, the weather in March is usually warm, which means bring your bikes and ride.”