Outdoor Industry Foundation will release its first economic contribution study August 11th during the Outdoor Retailer Show in Salt Lake City. The study will quantify the economic contribution of active outdoor recreation to the U.S. economy. The purpose is to educate business leaders, policy makers, and media regarding the scope of the economic benefits, direct and indirect, of active outdoor recreation for regions of the country and the nation as a whole.
The final report will detail:
- The total economic contribution of the outdoor recreation economy and breakouts for specific segments of the industries
- Regional breakout of economic contribution of active outdoor recreation
- Sales of goods and services
- Total jobs supported by the active outdoor recreation economy
- Total earnings (salaries, wages, dividends & business profits)
- State and federal tax revenues
- Number of outdoor recreation participants for different activities
- Comparisons to other well known industries
Southwick Associates is providing economic analysis for the study. Southwick has completed similar studies for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Coast Guard, numerous state fish and wildlife departments and natural resources departments, and over 20 non-government organizations.