Kohl’s announced its plans to reopen stores in 10 states on Monday, May 11 after opening stores in four states earlier this week.
Following local guidelines and health information, the company will open additional Kohl’s stores in the coming weeks, taking the same deliberate, measured approach. In preparation for a safe reopening, the company has made significant enhancements to the store environment and operations to prioritize the health and safety of Kohl’s customers and associates. These include limited store hours, social distancing measures, and numerous cleaning and sanitization measures, as well as wellness and temperature checks, safety training and the use of masks and gloves for our associates.
“We are pleased to begin welcoming our customers back to Kohl’s,” said Michelle Gass, Kohl’s chief executive officer. “As we all adjust to a new normal, we will continue to provide the easy and efficient store experience that Kohl’s customers love, while implementing many new rigorous procedures that prioritize the safety of our associates and customers. We are taking an informed, measured approach based on a number of factors to reopen our stores on a phased timeline, with about twenty-five percent of our stores open by next week. As we reopen and operate in a new environment, I want to thank our associates and customers for their ongoing loyalty and support. We’re thrilled to have you back. ”
Beginning Monday, May 11, Kohl’s will welcome customers and associates back to all stores in Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Georgia, Idaho, Mississippi, Montana, and Texas, as well as a majority of its stores in Florida and Tennessee. On Monday, May 4, Kohl’s reopened stores in Arkansas, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and Utah. The company will continue to take an informed approach around where and how to reopen stores by assessing several factors, including the guidance of government officials, health data, store readiness, and consumer sentiment.
As Kohl’s stores reopen, customers and associates can expect to see the following safety measures in place to provide a safe and healthy environment for everyone. The company is also working closely with other retailers of scale and the Retail Industry Leaders Association (RILA) and National Retail Federation (NRF) to champion uniform operations and allow for safe reopening.
For Kohl’s Customers
Kohl’s customers can expect to see the following changes at Kohl’s stores, to support ongoing health and safety precautionary measures:
- Kohl’s has reduced operating hours and will be open from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily until further notice;
- Kohl’s is offering dedicated shopping hours for at-risk individuals including seniors, those who are pregnant or have underlying health conditions every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.;
- Signage and floor decals have been placed throughout the store to encourage six feet of social distancing with a focus on high traffic areas including at customer service and checkout;
- For stores that have two or more entrances, one entrance has been closed and each store will operate with a single point of entry to the store;
- An employee “greeter” will be stationed at the front of the entrance to each store with the role of welcoming customers, sanitizing carts between each use and limiting occupancy, where appropriate;
- In-aisle fixturing has been removed to increase space for customers to pass through the aisles while adhering to social distancing guidelines;
- Kohl’s has installed protective barriers at all registers and will offer touchless payment through Kohl’s Pay on the Kohl’s App to make the checkout experience as contactless as possible;
- Checkout lanes will be cleaned by an associate after each customer transaction, including the sanitation of the pin pad and counter;
- Hand sanitizer will be available at each register and throughout the store for customer use;
- Fitting rooms will be closed until further notice and the use of beauty testers are suspended to reduce and minimize touchpoints;
- Kohl’s has made adjustments to the returns process to minimize contact between the customer and the employee. In addition, to support social distancing, Kohl’s will accept Amazon Returns in a separate location within the stores;
- Kohl’s will continue to facilitate regular cleaning of our stores, including all restrooms, entrances and all customer touchpoints, during all operating hours by a third party cleaning service; and
- Kohl’s will continue to offer limited-contact drive-up service at most stores to buy online, pick up in-store, and ship to store orders. Customers can drive up and park in designated parking spots at their local Kohl’s and an employee will place their Kohls order directly in their car.
For Kohl’s Employees
- All Kohl’s employees will participate in mandatory wellness and temperature checks before their shifts. Any associate who has a temperature or exhibits other COVID-19 symptoms will be asked to return home and seek medical attention;
- All Kohl’s employees will wear masks and gloves while working in the store;
- All employees will undergo health and safety training on new policies and procedures before returning to work;
- Kohl’s has reduced the number of store employees at one time and is adjusting employee placement within its stores as necessary to adhere to social distancing guidelines;
- Kohl’s has physically rearranged breakrooms, training rooms and offices to ensure proper social distancing;
- Kohl’s has set up employee sanitation stations for easy access to hand sanitizer and cleaning supplies in accordance with CDC guidelines such as hand washing, regular usage of hand sanitizer and cleaning measures for surfaces.
Kohl’s will continue to assess store reopenings and health and safety measures on an ongoing basis.
Photo courtesy Kohl’s