EBay announced a series of steps it is taking to accelerate its efforts in local commerce, including plans to extend its popular eBay Now delivery service to 25 markets by the end of 2014, including Chicago, which launched Tuesday.
“The world is changing, with the lines between online and offline commerce blurring and the expectations of buyers and sellers rising rapidly,” said Devin Wenig, president of eBay Marketplaces, who is shown at right. “With eBay’s latest steps, we are bringing together the best of what people need from a shopping experience speed and convenience with things people love about shopping, like discovery and inspiration.”
- eBay Now: The company plans to expand the eBay Now service to 25 markets by the end of 2014, including major metro areas in North America, including Chicago today and Dallas later this year, and select international markets, including London in early 2014.
- Shutl: The company has announced its agreement to acquire Shutl, a marketplace that uses a network of couriers to deliver local goods that same day. The company believes that the acquisition of Shutl’s technology, talent and expertise will help eBay to reach its goal of expanding its local delivery capabilities.
- In-Store Pickup: In keeping with eBay’s commitment to enable shoppers to choose how, where and when they receive purchases, customers can also now buy online at eBay.com and pick-up in local stores. This service is available today for Toys “R” Us and Best Buy, with more retailers coming soon.
- Scheduled Delivery: Soon, eBay will be releasing scheduled delivery for eBay Now, enabling customers to buy something on their mobile phone, pick a time that works for their schedule, and have their items delivered to them then.
- Now on eBay.com: The company also plans to offer eBay Now same-day delivery for local goods on eBay.com, bringing the speed and convenience of eBay Now to cities where the eBay Now service is live.
- Collections: groups of products that have been hand-selected from eBay’s more than 500 million listed items by expert curators, eBay buyers, and sellers
- Curators: top trendsetters across a variety of interest areas, who create beautiful collections on eBay to help easily connect you with items you’ll love
- Follow: a simple, one-click way for you to personalize your feed by following the collections, curators, eBay users, and interests that inspire you
- Profiles: a customizable page – for both buyers and sellers – where you can share information about yourself, the collections you’ve created, and the interests, collections, and people you follow
- eBay Today: a new page on eBay that helps you easily discover the very best collections of items on eBay, selected daily by eBay’s Chief Curator and Editorial Director Michael Phillips Moskowitz, eBay’s new Chief Curator and Editorial Director, will oversee the eBay Today destination, providing a daily view of some of the site’s most interesting items and the stories behind them. His inspiration will be available alongside a roster of more than 200 curators across a wide range of interests from Pharrell Williams and Solange Knowles to Todd Selby and Kelly Oxford. These curators will be creating a dynamic set of collections to intrigue and inspire shoppers.
On his role as curator, Pharrell Williams said: “Shopping on eBay is unlike shopping anywhere else it’s a place to discover things you love and things you never knew you needed. Now, anyone can create their own collection on eBay and fill it with all their dream items.”