The Earth footwear brand is preparing to celebrate its 40th birthday on April 22nd, 2010. Leveraging the
platform of its founding, Earth takes is introducing an entirely biodegradable sole that decomposes
10x faster in the ground relative to an ordinary shoe.
The milestone of the company’s founding coincides with the 40th anniversary of Earth Day.
The Earth Shoe has recognized many notable milestones throughout its history:
* April 1970 – The first Earth brand shoe store opens on East 17th Street in New York City, coinciding with the world’s first celebration of Earth Day.
* 1971 – The Earth brand shoe becomes the symbol of the casual revolution started on college campuses around the country. Comfort and wellness inform the thinking of many progressive young people nationwide.
* 1974 – TIME Magazine publishes an extensive story on the Earth brand shoe. Demand soars. A full-page ad appears in national publications stating, “Please Be Patient. Were Making Our Shoes as Fast as We Can!”
* 1975 – The Metropolitan Museum of Art places an Earth brand shoe in its permanent collection, securing its place as an icon that balances both form and function.
* 1980’s and 1990’s – Unable to keep up with burgeoning demand, the Earth brand shoe in its first incarnation is no longer able to be sold at retail. Regional networks of consumer loyalists develop, petitioning to bring back the Earth brand shoe in some form.
* Early 1990’s – Restoring the name and its technologies, the EarthÂ® brand is re-scoped and re-vitalized as a new company — Earth, Inc. New fashion-forward styling and an expanded assortment – all of which features Earth’s signature 3.7 degrees inclined sole – define the enterprise.
* 2001 – 2002 – The EarthÂ® brand is re-launched. Noting its re-emergence, famed European shoe designer, Manolo Blahnik, remarks in a June TIME Magazine article “(Earth) was the first shoe to make a social statement”
* 2003 – Earth distribution expands into markets including Canada, Japan, Italy and Australia
* 2004 – Leading the sustainable footwear design evolution, Earth becomes one of the first shoe manufacturers to introduce water-based adhesives throughout 100% of its line
* 2008 – Reputable industry trade publication, Footwear Plus, honors Earth with an “Excellence in Design” award
* 2010 – Leveraging the platform of its founding, April 22nd, 2010, and the 40th Anniversary of Earth Day, Earth takes a giant step forward in the area of environmental stewardship, introducing an entirely biodegradable sole that decomposes 10x faster in the ground relative to an ordinary shoe.