Sugoi is a manufacturer of technical athletic apparel that blends performance and style. Within the walls of our Vancouver facilities, we design, test and manufacture all of our technical apparel. In addition, we handle all of our own graphics services, including catalogues and ad design; we have an extensive inside sales team that supports specialty sports retailers in North America and Europe; and we run marketing programs such as event expos and team sponsorships.
Whether you are an athlete or not, our dynamic culture is enticing. We attract people who are passionate about active sports and the outdoors and who want their careers to be in line with their lifestyle and values. At Sugoi, users and believers of a great product surround you. It’s more than just a job; it’s an opportunity to pursue your passion!
We are seeking a seasoned Head of Design to create the design direction of our product lines. The ideal candidate will collaborate with our Product Development team, providing and executing creative solutions and design briefs that are consistent with Sugois specialized markets; run, cycle and triathlon. Using your creative inspiration, you will provide concept storyboards to communicate design graphics, trend and colour direction in line with our brand strategy. Your ability to bring new technologies and innovations to enhance performance while continuing to set style trends is essential to internal and external designers. You will provide strong and influential leadership, managing a Design team of internal and external designers, to ensure deadlines and standards are executed effectively and efficiently. In addition, you will help streamline design processes and procedures that will ensure final design integrity and accurate fit.
- Minimum 5 years in a senior design role with previous experience in active sportwear design combined with a related degree/diploma in Apparel/Textiles, Industrial or Graphic design
- Comprehensive understanding of garment construction/production, fit and aesthetics
- Knowledge of technical fabrics and their functional purpose
- Very high knowledge of cycling, running and triathlon-participation is preferred
- Strong sense of graphic design and the ability to interpret graphics, colour and fashion trends applicable to the athletic market
- Must be fully proficient in Abobe Illustrator and MS Office (Word and Excel)
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally
- Demonstrated initiative, follow-through and problem-solving ability
- Goal and deadline driven with an independent, results-oriented attitude
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work as a dynamic team player in a fast-paced and high-volume environment
Among the rewards you can expect are, competitive salary/benefits packages (including an outstanding employee discount program) and excellent long-term growth opportunities.
To apply please fax, mail or email a resume and covering letter in confidence with Head of Design in the subject line to:
144 East 7th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V5T 1M6
Fax: (604) 879-9106
Electronic transmissions are preferred – please include position title in subject line.
MS-WORD or Acrobat (PDF) documents only, please.
We wish to thank all applicants, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.