Cabela’s, which was acquired by Bass Pro on September 25, will be open on Thanksgiving for what appears to be the first time in its history.
A Cabela’s flyer indicates that the stores will be open on Thanksgiving Day from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Stores in Berlin, MA and Scarborough, ME are excluded. The stores reopen at 6 a.m. on Black Friday for door buster deals.
Cabela’s has long been known as one of the country’s major retailers to be closed on Thanksgiving.
As recently as November 2014, Cabela’s put out a statement touting its closure on the holiday. Tommy Millner, Cabela’s CEO, said at the time, “It has been a longstanding tradition at Cabela’s to respect the Thanksgiving holiday and ensure our employees can enjoy this time with their families. Dick and Jim Cabela made that decision when they started the company 53 years ago, and it remains unchanged today.”
Among the other major chains open on Thanksgiving are:
- Walmart: Most stores open all day on Thanksgiving. In-store event starts at 6 p.m. Thursday. Normal business hours Friday.
- Target: 6 p.m.-midnight Thanksgiving. All stores open at 6 a.m. and close at 10, 11 p.m. or midnight on Friday.
- Dick’s Sporting Goods: Opens from 6 p.m. to 2 a.m. on Thanksgiving and then reopens on 5:00 a.m. on Black Friday.
- Academy Sports + Outdoors: Will remain closed on Thanksgiving and opens at 5:00 a.m. on Black Friday.
- Kohls: 5 p.m. Thanksgiving to midnight Friday.
- JCPenney: 2 p.m. Thanksgiving through 10 p.m. Friday.
- Best Buy: 5 p.m.-1 a.m. Thanksgiving. 8 a.m.-10 p.m. Friday.
- Toys R Us: 5 p.m. Thanksgiving through 11 p.m. Friday.
- REI: For the third year in a row, REI is closing not only on Thanksgiving but also Black Friday as part of its #OptOutside campaign that encourages people to go outdoors
- Dunham’s: Open from 4 p.m. Thursday to 3 p.m. Friday
- Sportsman’s Warehouse: Closed on Thanksgiving but will open at 6:00 a.m. on Black Friday with early doorbusters.
Photo courtesy Cabela’s